Commercial Kitchen Extraction
Commercial kitchen extraction is an essential part of every catering establishment. The kitchen extraction system ensures a healthy and safe environment for members of staff and customers alike by removing heat, grease and smells along with the harmful byproducts generated during cooking processes by catering equipment positioned beneath.
Target has put measures in place to quality assure each individual commercial kitchen extraction installation. As the basis for each site specific extraction system design, Target's design engineers use the latest BESA specification for kitchen ventilation systems, DW/172 second edition 2018.
Commercial Kitchen Extraction Design
Commercial kitchen extraction systems come in different configurations to suit kitchen design layouts and site specific constructional details as well as catering equipment types and choice of fuels typically gas, electric, charcoal and solid fuel.
Target's commercial kitchen extraction design and installation services include:
- extraction canopy
- extractor ducting
- carbon filtration system
- mesh and baffle filters
- speed controller
- bulkhead lighting
- gas safety interlock system
- replacement air systems
- odour control systems
In order to select the commercial kitchen canopy installation to meet your requirements and comply with commercial kitchen extraction regulations, you will need a detailed commercial kitchen ventilation design and specification to suit your kitchen operation. At Target we carry out site surveys in order to assess your requirements and can submit design plans and specifications for all your required planning permissions.
Control of Odour and Noise
Odour and noise control is a requirement of any commercial kitchen ventilation system and it ensures the amenity of neighbours and residents is not adversely affected by permitted development and change of use of buildings. Noise and odour control measures are defined in the Defra Guidelines of 2005 as well as DW172 2018 second edition specification for kitchen ventilation systems.
How can this be achieved and demonstrated for the many different kitchen extraction designs?
- Filters - at source within the canopy with grease separator filters, particulate filters, HEPA filters and odour control filters.
- Ozone generators - canopy or in duct mounted UV Ultraviolet ozone generators neutralise odours, breakdown and dissipate grease.
- ESP - Electrostatic precipitators - a filtration device can be used to control smoke and odour masking chemicals can be introduced into exhausts.
- Water washing - canopies amd in duct exhaust washing systems are also available in the extraction system designers solutions matrix.
- Noise control is achieved by using in duct acoustic actuator silencers selected to reduce noise levels to acceptable levels.
- Directional exhaust noise can be directed away from sensitive locations with high level exhaust outlets which also aid dispersal and dilution of the exhaust to atmosphere.
- Extractor fans should be mounted between flexible couplings and on anti vibration mounts.
- Ductwork should be stiffened to permit oscillation and panel vibration generated from air movement.
- Enclosed recirculation kitchen ventilation systems offer another alternative when noise and odour have to be controlled but these can only be used with all electric cooklines.
Extraction Canopy - Gas Equipment
A commercial kitchen extraction canopy is required to remove odour and heat and also the harmful by products of combustion such as carbon monoxide gasses which are produced from the combustion process when cooking using gas appliances.
Extraction canopies for gas appliances should over-sail catering equipment by a minimum of 300mm, they will also require an external high level exhaust point in order to meet environmental health commercial kitchen canopy regulations and also a gas interlocking system to comply with BS6173 regulations.
HSE Information Sheet - Gas Safety In Catering And Hospitality
Extraction Canopy - Electric Equipment
When no gas connection is available or commercial kitchen extraction installation costs need to be kept to a minimum, you may consider an all electric commercial kitchen incorporating powerful commercial induction cooking technology.
Induction cooking does not give off any harmful byproducts. It also reduces the amount of excess heat produced within the kitchen compared to when cooking using gas appliances. As a result of this reduced heat the commercial kitchen canopy is able to run more efficiently using lower speed controller settings. Using an all electric cookline also removes the requirement for a gas safety interlock system to be installed.
HSE Information Sheet - Ventilation In Catering Kitchens
COMMERCIAL KITCHEN EXTRACTION INSTALLERS
Commercial kitchen canopy installation can be simple or complicated depending on the many variables that all need to come together to ensure the complete system works. Often extraction canopies can be installed with others fitting ductwork and fans that may not always be correctly matched.
Target design engineers match all components and the installation team takes care of everything including final commissioning, testing and certification. This includes removal of protective plastic films ready for final deep clean and handover to customer.
Target manufacture and install commercial kitchen exhaust hoods to suit individual and operational kitchen design requirements. The commercial exhaust hood can be purchased as an individual unit or provided as part of a complete ventilation system.
All Target exhaust hoods are manufactured to BESA DW172 specification for commercial kitchen ventilation systems.
Commercial Kitchen Exhaust Hood Requirements
Constructed from brushed, commercial grade 304 stainless steel, each extract canopy is designed to overhang cooking equipment to enable it to function correctly removing contaminated air from equipment positioned below.
The components of the extraction canopy may include:
- Filters - each canopy will include appropriate filters to enable adequate extraction and eliminate the buildup of grease and other dust particles in the air inlets ensuring that the extraction canopy works efficiently.
- Fans and Speed Controller - fans for moving fumes from the hood to the ducts, these are ERP compliant, suitable for low voltage inverter speed control.
- Drip Channel and Drawer - an essential part of the Target canopy is the drip channel which collects water vapour produced when hot air hits the cold surface of the hood. Without the drip channel condensed air will collect and drip down the back and sides of the exhaust canopy and may contaminate food being prepared beneath. The drip channel drawer allows for easy removal of the collected mositure.
- Canopy Lights - the Target manufactured canopies comprise of bulkhead UL approved fittings with LED energy saving lamps fitted or recessed LED fittings. All our lights are heat resistant with shatter-proof lenses and easy clean surfaces.
WALL MOUNTED EXTRACTION CANOPY
The wall mounted extraction canopy is suitable for use with equipment positioned in a cookline backing onto a wall.
CENTRAL ISLAND EXTRACTION CANOPY
An island extraction canopy covers equipment which is centrally fixed in an island configuration. The island hood can be single or double sided as required.
The condensate hood is designed to capture, condense and remove steam from steam generating appliances such as dishwashers and combination ovens.