Carbon Monoxide And Commercial Kitchens
Carbon Monoxide is a highly toxic gas. Emitting no sound or odour it is very difficult to detect, and can affect the human body in a number of different ways.
Just 0.1 percent in the atmosphere can affect concentration and a presence of 2% reduces breathing to 50% less than its normal capacity. Once the levels reach as high as 5-10%, people can lapse into unconsciousness.
It is rare for the presence of carbon monoxide to reach a dangerous level in commercial kitchens, the gas level will need to be regularly checked, especially if the energy supplied for the gas is of this nature.
The UKs Health and Safety Executive suggests that the factors thought to affect the emission levels that people are exposed to throughout the cooking process include the size of the kitchen, the degree of ventilation and extraction and the age of the appliances used.
Cooking can produce signifcant quantities of fumes and vapours, in addition to large amounts of heat. Vnetilation is needed to remove these elements and discharge them to a safe external location. The HSE stresses that appropriate systems are essential for a commercial kitchen to protect workers from any potentially harmful substances.
It is particularly important that excellent ventilation is employed. This can be achieved with ductwok, filters, and extractors. Such ventilation can be installed by dedicated commercial kitchen installation businesses. This will ensure that any equipment is installed to optimal standards, thereby eliminating any threat of carbon monoxide.
Always take the advice of a reputable and experienced business when considering the right equipment to install in commercial kitchens. A comprehensive survey of the environment will allow you to ascertain the right equipment needed for the environment.
Carbon Monoxide poses a very real threat to public health, one that should be taken seriously. All commercial kitchens should have the right equipment installed for public health.